Tui Na is a Traditional Chinese Medicine (TCM) approach to massage which has been used in China for over 2,000 years. As with other TCM techniques, Tui Na is used to create a more harmonious flow of Chi within a patient. Unlike other massage techniques, the massage itself is less painful, but the result is still significant.
Through a friend and exception Tai Chi instructor from Santa Barbara, Natalia was offered the opportunity to study Tui Na with Master Liu. Master Liu was trained in Shanghai by Dr. Li Xim-min whose family has been serving as doctors in the Emperor's court for generations. After his training, Master Liu practiced Tui Na professionally for over 40 years until he retired from a Shanghai hospital as a Senior Tui Na Specialist.
Master Liu's Tui Na training is slightly different from those of the formal school system and closer to the traditional lineage. His approach emphasizes different aspects of massage that are less common.
- The primary focus on tendon and facia massage techniques (whereas acu-points and meridian channels massage techniques are also used as an aide)
- The emphasis on painless therapy sessions. Most patients will only feel slight soreness (if at all) during the therapy, and total relief afterwards. This is contrary to many other massage therapists who emphasize the mantra of "no pains, no gains."
- Its emphasis on not only the Tui Na therapist's knowledge, but also his/her internal training, which reveals itself in:
- the therapist's level of sensitivity to the qi condition of the patient
- her ability to work accurately on different layers of the human body (skin, muscle, tendons, and bones)
- her ability to use the mind intention (as opposed to only applying the techniques mechanically)
Ask Natalia if she thinks Tui Na will be right for you.
What People Are Saying
Natalia, I wanted to thank you again for the very helpful Tui Na Massage on my leg. Before your help, I could hardly walk, and after your massage and some stretching, the sharp knot of pain was gone. It was a miracle! It was also the most relaxing massage I've ever had; normally massages hurt but the Tui Na method feels wonderful and so soothing. Thanks again!!!
~ Kara Kreer (Santa Cruz)